Dress Down this Thursday (10/12/2017)
The following is from our National Junior Honor Society regarding a Dress Down for the people of Puerto Rico. It has my full support. These students are truly thinking of "others" as that is part of our Mission as a school.
I encourage your full support as well.
Dear Parents of SMS,
The 2017-2018 National Junior Honor Society of St. Mary School is sponsoring a Dress Down to support the unfortunate people in Puerto Rico that suffered and are suffering from Hurricane Maria.
This will be THIS THURSDAY, OCTOBER 12, 2017.
We would be grateful if each child donated $2.00. All proceeds we raise will go to UNICEF because, we have found, that 90% of the money given to them for this purpose will go straight to Puerto Rico.
Simple Rule: Your child must donate $2 that day. If he/she does not, yet still dresses down, he/she will be denied this privilege the next time we have a Dress Down.
Also: Your child's dress that day has to be in compliance with the policy for Dress Down as found in the Parent-Student Handbook; 2017-18, and which we have added to the end of this email.
NOTE: If your child has Phys. Ed. on Thursday, he/she may dress down, but he/she needs to wear sneakers and be dressed appropriate to having Phys. Ed. that day.
Thank you in advance as we LIVE THE MESSAGE OF JESUS by helping those people affected by that terrible hurricane.
FROM THE UNIFORM POLICY:
DRESS DOWN DAYS
From time to time, there will be a dress down day, usually to raise money for a service project or as a reward or celebration. Other times, students will be permitted to substitute a part of his or her uniform with a specific color. All information for these specific days will be sent home in advance.
On dress down days, students must still be clean, neat, and presentable. There should never be any words, language, or logo on any part of the clothing that contradicts the purpose, mission, and nature of St. Mary School.
The following are not permitted on dress down days, or any other days:
- Shorts may not be worn November through the beginning of April vacation. Shorts are permitted August-October and after April vacation.
- See-through style and/or mesh style clothing.
- Underwear that is visible or worn as outerwear
- Ripped jeans or cutoffs
- Dresses, skirts, or shorts MUST be worn within 3” of the knee.
- Spandex clothing, unless worn underneath another acceptable garment.
- Sunglasses worn indoors, unless prescribed by a physician.
- Tank tops with spaghetti straps unless worn under another acceptable shirt.
- Sleeveless shirts with oversized armholes, unless worn under/over another acceptable shirt.
- Footwear considered unsafe by the school (such as, but not limited to, flip flops, Crocs, sandals, and open backed shoes.
- Pants not worn at the waist.
- Anything that the school considers unsafe or a distraction to the educational process, or not in conformity to the purpose, mission, and nature of St. Mary School.