Hurricane Relief for Catholic Schools & Dress Down Day
We have been informed that the NCEA (National Catholic Education Association) is organizing a way for students in Catholic Schools to help the Catholic Schools in Huston, Texas, and the entire area devastated by Hurricane Harvey.
This is from the NCEA:
Our hearts and prayers are with Catholic schools and all those affected by Hurricane Harvey. In keeping with our mission to serve others, wehavebeenintouchwithdiocesanleadersintheaffected storm areas to determine their needs. In addition, we have heard from others asking how they can help.
The National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA) is answering this question by launching a campaign asking every Catholic school family around the country to contribute at least $1 per student to help Catholic schools impacted by the storm to rebuild, reopen and re-enroll students. "Student to Student: A Catholic School Response to Hurricane Harvey" is a powerful opportunity to engage students in living the Gospel message of compassionate service and generosity to others.
Therefore, THIS FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 8th, will have a Dress Down for this purpose.
We ask each student to bring in $1 (more if one can afford to do so). If you use a check, make payable to St. Mary School and in the memo write Hurricane Relief.
IMPORTANT: As with all such Dress Downs, if your child is found in Dress Down without a donation or in violation of the Dress Down policies, they will not be allowed to Dress Down the next time the school has a Dress Down or some other day where the students may alter their uniform.
Please see below for our Dress Down rules and policies.
In advance, we thank everyone for their donation. It is one of the many ways we as a Catholic School live out our mission to LIVE THE MESSAGE OF JESUS.
Thank and God bless you,
Mr. Frank Lacerenza, Principal
DRESS DOWN POLICY:
On dress down days, students must still be clean, neat, and presentable. There should never be any words, language, or logo on any part of the clothing that contradicts the purpose, mission, and nature of St. Mary School.
The following are not permitted on dress down days, or any other days:
- Shorts may not be worn November through the beginning of April vacation. Shorts are permitted August-October and after April vacation.
- See-through style and/or mesh style clothing.
- Underwear that is visible or worn as outerwear
- Ripped jeans or cutoffs
- Dresses, skirts, or shorts MUST be worn within 3” of the knee.
- Spandex clothing, unless worn underneath another acceptable garment.
- Sunglasses worn indoors, unless prescribed by a physician.
- Tank tops with spaghetti straps unless worn under another acceptable shirt.
- Sleeveless shirts with oversized armholes, unless worn under/over another acceptable shirt.
- Footwear considered unsafe by the school (such as, but not limited to, flip flops, Crocs, sandals, and open backed shoes.
- Pants not worn at the waist.
- Anything that the school considers unsafe or a distraction to the educational process, or not in conformity to the purpose, mission, and nature of St. Mary School.